Thursday 12 April 2018

Yet I will rejoice

Habbakuk 3:17-19
Though the fig tree should not blossom, 
nor fruit be on the vines, 
  the produce of the olive fail 
and the fields yield no food, 
  the flock be cut off from the fold 
and there be no herd in the stalls, 
 18  yet I will rejoice in the Lord; 
I will take joy in the God of my salvation. 
 19  God, the Lord, is my strength; 
he makes my feet like the deer’s; 
he makes me tread on my high places

'yet I will rejoice'. Despite the difficult circumstances, Habbakuk decided to rejoice. Even if he has no food, no work, he chooses to rejoice. How? How can he rejoice if his circumstances are bad? What has he got to rejoice about - God! Habbakuk rejoices in the person of God, not the circumstances he expects or experiences. Why? Because God's character never changes even though the world around us does. 

To set these verses in context, Habbakuk had been told of a certain invasion, and of the invaders eventually themselves being punished. So, he resolved to wait. To wait for the judgement that was coming, and he set his mind on who God is. 
Do you know tricky times are coming? What are you resolving yourself to focus on? The outcome? The process? Or God's character? You can ride a storm successfully when you are in a stable ship. God knows the winds and waves are coming, he can help you ride them in safety. 

You have a choice to make, your way or God's way?
Habbakuk resolved not just to trust in God in the ensuing difficulties,  he decided to REJOICE in them. He decided to recognise the fullness of goodness that is in God, even when his stomach is empty, the fields and trees are bare. Even when surrounded by barrenness Habbakuk resolved to rejoice in God. Would you? I know I pray, but do I rejoice in who God is when times are tough? 
I imagine rejoicing in God through the trouble would give a new perspective, and acknowledgement of goodness even in trial and would bring hope for a better future. 

We can live triumphant lives when we base our lives in God. Habbakuk knew, as we should, that the ultimate victory belongs to God. He is the victor, he is triumphant, Jesus work on the cross was the ultimate smack in the face of sin and death. We are on God's team, we have the victory in our grasp. So, don't let everyday circumstances overwhelm you, look to; 'God of my salvation. God, the Lord, is my strength'


Habbakuk has; 'joy in the God of my salvation.' We also can enjoy that. We know, maybe even better than Habbakuk did that God is truly our saviour, how much more reason do we have to rejoice even when cupboards and bank account are bare.

No comments:

Post a Comment